Thursday, January 20, 2011

Mo Schnow and Pot Roast

I've been holding off on blogging this week because Sawyer's baby dedication was Sunday and my camera was MIA. Aaron's mom took pics and I was waiting to get them so everything would be chronological ... Because I'm a little OCD about stuff like that. It's just one of my mental illnesses. I'm going to overcome it I guess ... but it's really a stronghold.
Anyway ... It's snowing again today and we're supposed to get several inches. Yay. Don't tell my kids, but I'm way over it. I'm kind of over winter all together. The hunting, the sickness,the tons of extra clothes, the inside play ... over it. Well, except for one thing: the food. I LOVE winter food. It's kinda manly, meat and potatoes stuff. I consider myself a girly girl, except when it comes to eating. I would 100x rather have ribs or a cheeseburger than a salad. No way Jose. So winter food makes me happy, it's just naturally heartier. Love.
SO, I'm making the roast out of the LRJL's cookbook, Big on Little Rock. It is beyond yummy, and your house smells divine all day. You might think, "melt in your mouth good," can't apply to meat but it can. And it's a very good thing. :)

I'm passing on the recipe in case you want to try it. Thank me later. :)

Roast Beef with Burgundy Mushroom Gravy

1 (4 lb) boneless chuck roast
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons butter
2 onions, sliced
16 ounces mushrooms, stems removed and mushrooms sliced
3 large garlic cloves, sliced
1 cup burgundy or other dry red wine
1/2 cup cognac or good quality bourbon
2 cups beef broth
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 sprig fresh tyme
1 sprig fresh rosemary
1 tablespoon butter
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
Toasted crunchy french bread

Pat the roast dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper. Heat the olive oil in a large dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the roast and brown on all sides. Remove the roast to a plate.
Add 2 tablespoons butter and the onions to the drippings in the Dutch oven and saute` for 5 minutes or until the onions are tender. Add the mushrooms and garlic and saute` for 2 minutes longer.
Stir in the wine and cognac and bring to a boil. Cook for 1 minute and stir in the beef broth and tomato paste. Return the roast to the Dutch oven and add the tyme and rosemary sprigs. Bring to a boil and cover.
Place in the oven and roast at 350 degrees for 3 hours or until roast is fork- tender, turning it after 1.5 hours. Remove to a cutting board. Discard the tyme and rosemary.
Place the vegetables and cooking liquid in a food processor and process until smooth. Return the mixture to the Dutch oven. Blend 1 tablespoon of butter with the flour in a cup with fork. Add to the Dutch oven and simmer until thickened, stirring contantly.
Slice the roast and serve on the bread. Spoon the gravy on top.

I sometimes toss baby carrots and cut-up new potatoes in some olive oil, toss them with Cavenders and bake for an hour on 350 with this. However, it's pretty hearty on it's own.

1 comments:

Yet said...

Charming.
But isn't winter food good? It's funny how I spend the whole season waiting for it to be over and I miss out on all the good food i could be cooking. Sigh.

 
Blog Design © Designs by Linds 2011