Tuesday, March 13, 2012

One Day at a Time

Apparently we've been here over a week now ... but, I'm kinda counting it from how many days my mom has been gone. I don't really think I noticed I was in a new town until she left.

We're adjusting ... it's a process. And it's fine. It truly, truly is. I honestly believe God is using this as a refining process, and refinement never feels good. I know that if I just started spouting off negatives about my new surroundings that would be all I would notice and I would quickly become depressed, therefore I'm not going to do that. So, I'll just leave it at that. ;)

The weather here hasn't been much different than Arkansas. We have had a couple snowy days, but MOST have been extremely mild. The last couple days have been high 60's and today we even bumped into the 70's ... which is starting to concern me. First because I got the kids lots of fun snow-wear and duhhhh we need to wear the cuteness. And secondly because they don't have air conditioning in these parts and this southern girl turns the air on once it reaches 68 degrees. Sooooooooo, I'll be hunting down some window units or SOMETHING lovely in the very near future.

I feel the need to just say loud and clear that WE'RE FINE. We really, really are. I have gotten SO many kind emails and calls and messages from people on facebook or blog readers I've never met that I'm pretty sure think I am looking down over the cliff or something. I KNEW we were supposed to do this with my whole, whole heart. I think that's why I originally threw such a big fit. As soon as Aaron said, "there's a job opportunity in Pennsylvania," I just felt my heart IMMEDIATELY preparing to go.

I've told this story to my small group and even at large group at Bloom
a couple weeks ago, but I thought I'd share it on here too. I'm pretty sure it would be incredibly hard to forget .... but just in case...

Right after Aaron started telling me about how much he wanted to do this job in Pennsylvania I was extremely shut off to it. I would just throw my hands up at the mention of it and all but stamp my foot ... okay, I did that too.
Anyway, I was on a rampage of manipulation to make SURE that if I had anything to do with it we chased down every lead of a new job for AB. I sent him monster.com leads, I questioned him at least 476 times a day if he'd called on this person or this person and I was driving myself into a nervous frenzy that may have required medication ... just keepin' it real.
One morning I was fixing Sawyer breakfast and I was at the stove as he kept going back to the trash can. I had chunked some goldfish earlier in the morning and now they were covered up by coffee grounds, boogie wipes, and other forms of general yuckiness that finds its way to the trash can. I kept going over to explain to him about how I was fixing him his breakfast and he just needed to chill the heck out. However, his fourteen month old self didn't really care what I said and kept going back to the trash. I told him at least three more times to quit that, that I had something better ON THE WAY ... still he was digging for growdy goldfish.
Finally, I went over there, got in his little face, and said, "Sawyer, quit digging through the trash, your breakfast is almost ready." At the moment I felt the Holy Spirit literally lift my head up and tell me, "Rebekah, you stop digging through the trash, quit thinking you know better than I do. I have something for you RIGHT here ... and it's good, and it's prepared especially for you."
That was the moment EVERYTHING changed. I changed my tune and was quickly filled with a peace over the whole situation. I've had a breakdown or two, but mainly I've been filled with the Spirit in a new way. I love that God has started showing me verses that I've read a hundred times in new light. Verses like Jeremiah 29:11 have totally refreshed my soul in a brand new way: "For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future."

A new verse he very clearly gave me was Isaiah 43:19 "See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the desert and streams in the wasteland."
Sometimes I just read them over and over and over again. Another way He has been ministering to my heart is through song ... I have ALWAYS felt like music is a way to feel very close to the Presence of the Lord, but in times of "trouble" (and I use that term very lightly, I know that this is not a season of trouble, but it is a bit of an "uprooting" and a time where I'm seeking God with a new vengeance to say the least). However, I just have to jot down the lyrics of this song that Addison Road has out right now ... It is one I walk around my house singing all day long ... its ahhhh-mazing.

What Do I Know of Holy
Addison Road

I made You promises a thousand times
I tried to hear from Heaven
But I talked the whole time
I think I made You too small
I never feared You at all No
If You touched my face would I know You?
Looked into my eyes could I behold You?

(CHORUS)
What do I know of You
Who spoke me into motion?
Where have I even stood
But the shore along Your ocean?
Are You fire? Are You fury?
Are You sacred? Are You beautiful?
What do I know? What do I know of Holy?

I guess I thought that I had figured You out
I knew all the stories and I learned to talk about
How You were mighty to save
Those were only empty words on a page
Then I caught a glimpse of who You might be
The slightest hint of You brought me down to my knees

What do I know of You
Who spoke me into motion?
Where have I even stood
But the shore along Your ocean?
Are You fire? Are You fury?
Are You sacred? Are You beautiful?
What do I know? What do I know of Holy?

What do I know of Holy?
What do I know of wounds that will heal my shame?
And a God who gave life "its" name?
What do I know of Holy?
Of the One who the angels praise?
All creation knows Your name
On earth and heaven above
What do I know of this love?

What do I know of You
Who spoke me into motion?
Where have I even stood
But the shore along Your ocean?
Are You fire? Are You fury?
Are You sacred? Are You beautiful?
What do I know? What do I know of Holy?

What do I know of Holy?
What do I know of Holy?

Do yourself a favor and go watch the You Tube video or download it from iTunes... it's so good.

Sunday we were supposed to go try out a new church, but with a late night, plus the time change we didn't make it. ;/
HOWEVER, that meant I got to log into the Online Campus at FBC and watch Brandon's amazing sermon. I could barely take notes I was so enthralled with the message. It was in finding contentment regardless of circumstances. One quote I took away was "it's all about location: IN the Lord, IN God."

I'm thankful He's there to supply every need. I'm thankful He's enough.

Taking it one day at a time ...






- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

0 comments:

 
Blog Design © Designs by Linds 2011