Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Favorites ... My Fav Food.

I have LOTS of favorite foods ... I'm not really a picky eater and will try almost anything, so narrowing down to a very favorite is difficult. I love sizzling fajitas covered in guacamole, I love ANY kind of seafood, I totally heart pastas, I love steak and baked potatoes, I am a huge fan of okra and tomatoes over rice and I even love yummy soups and sandwiches ... so it's hard to pick a favorite. However, if I think of a food that I love to cook at home that always comes through it's ... DUN DUN TA DUNNNN ..... Beans and Cornbread. It is!! I just love it. I love watching a big pot of pinto beans cook all day long... it makes me feel totally homey. And they never disappoint me, always leave me full, and are still yummy heated up the next day for lunch. They are wayyyyy country, but at my house, they're a staple.
I feel the need to give a shout out to my absolute fav which is fried catfish, but I can't make that at home ... I can't imagine the stink that would leave. I'm sure my tried and true Lamp Berger would even have a hard time getting that one out, so I'll leave that to my friends at Shangri La on Lake Ouachita to cook for me ... The Carr's can fry up some catfish now.

I'm already rinsing and preparing my pinto beans for tonight ... I'll be serving them up with some yummy fried pork chops and I'm trying to decide how I'm going to season up my turnip greens. But, you really can't go wrong topping them with a yummy tomato relish or just dousing them in pepper sauce (my fav). My kiddos love mac 'n cheese with it, too ... we'll see. Just typing out the words "mac 'n cheeeeessee," makes me hungry. I cook the pasta, drain and dump it in a baking dish piling it high with velveeta, butter, whipping cream and sometimes I top it with bread crumbs. I try to have a rule that I only MAKE two things a night. So like, Kraft Mac 'n cheese wouldn't count, or dumping out a can of green beans wouldn't count ... things that actually take "making," that are time consuming ... that also require more clean up. Bleck.

I'm rambling ... and I'm aware. But, my kids are at MDO and I'm totally ignoring the fact that my house is a wreck and I need to clean it. Ok, fine ... I'm going, I'm going.

1 comments:

the osbornes said...

I have never in my life had beans and cornbread. I didn't even know that was a thing. Apparently I have a lot to learn about food. Still not trying that meatloaf though. Sorry, not gonna happen.

 
Blog Design © Designs by Linds 2011