Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Thankful

Lately I've become a readaholic ... I just cannot consume enough books. I'm currently on a non-fiction kick where everything I've read has been about blessing the poor. Strangely enough, every time I open my Bible I find verses about blessing the least of these and loving your neighbor as yourself, as well.
As I've researched more and more about poverty around the globe I just weep multiple times a day ... Anything can bring it on: a kiddo falling down and needing a boo-boo kissed makes me pray for those children who have no one to comfort them; having Sawyer ask for milk reminds me of moms who can't even provide their kids clean water, much less milk; walking through the produce section breaks my heart for the places in the world where fresh fruits and vegetables are an unaffordable luxury. Much less medical care, modern conveniences I totally take for granted and just access to practically anything at the touch of a button.
I'm begging God to show me ways I can help ... I believe it's something he doesn't ask, but DEMANDS of His people, and I'm so ready to do something I could just jump out of my skin.
Right now I'm just trying to learn an absolute heart of contentment. I'm becoming much less fascinated with things and praying for purpose. Clearly, I have a purpose to my family, but I'm longing to do something else, more outside my comfort zone ... even if it's in the future.
I'm just praying my heart out and trying to be thankful for the little things ... I'm realizing these are actually big things.
I'm thankful for three healthy babies who do get sick from time to time, but an easy trip to the doctor or drug store provides a quick fix.
I'm thankful for an amazing hubby and partner who cares about loving me in big and small ways.
I'm thankful for grocery stores that have any kind of food I can think of ... Then I simply come home to a modern kitchen filled with appliances and a refrigerator that make my life super easy.
I'm thankful for a washer and dryer... Really.
I'm thankful that ALL of my needs are met... Every day.
I'm thankful to feel safe.
I'm thankful to live in a place that's absolutely beautiful. I never get tired of looking at God's amazing creation.
I'm thankful my problems aren't really problems at all.
I'm thankful I get to spend these precious years with my wee ones at home.
I'm thankful for the pause and break from a fast-paced reality. I'm sure I'll look back at our time in Pennsylvania with absolute fondness. Our simple, easy going days are slow-paced but filled with laughter; unpredictable and finding delight in the ordinary.
I'm thankful for a Jesus who knows how many hairs are on my head and is jealous for my every thought. He is Mighty to Save and worthy of our praise.
I'm so thankful.
Give thanks to the Lord, for He is good! His faithful love endures forever.
-Psalms 118:1 (NLT)
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

0 comments:

 
Blog Design © Designs by Linds 2011