Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Memorial Day Weekend

Well, hey.
It was a fun Pennsylvanian Memorial Day weekend. We played, we ate, we visited and then we ate some more. It was hard to not be with the fam at the lake as we usually are ... but we had fun nevertheless.

Saturday I sent Aaron and the childrens out of the house so that I could clean. I almost enjoy cleaning when there aren't juice cups to be filled, diapers to be changed and little hands undoing all my hard work. I opened all the doors and windows and turned all the TVs to the one of the music channels to clean my heart out.
While cleaning I peeked out the window to see these beauties:

Are. You. Kidding. Me?!?!? Peonies in my front yard?!?! They are growing all around our town like dandelions, I kid you not. It's fabulous. The whole town is just covered up in some of the most beautiful flowers I've ever seen, but these peonies are my very, very favorite flower. Love, love.

While I was busy trying to make-out with the plant life, Aaron took the wee babes to Farmland.





They heart Farmland.

Saturday night Aaron and I went to a church event that the Wesleyan Church put on (where Avery attends pre-school & we've been meaning to visit). It was a "Regressive Dinner" at three families homes (Think backwards Progressive Dinner ... we started with dessert).
I'm not gonna lie ... being the new girl sucks. I honestly think it's my first time being the new girl in my whole life. I switched to PA (Pulaski Academy) in seventh grade, but I practically knew half the grade from church. And then when I went up to the U of A it was pretty much PA's 13th grade ... especially in the greek circles. So, this was just a whole new deal. Definitely felt out of my comfort zone, but by the end of the night I was glad we went; we met some really nice peeps.

Pennsylvania started to overheat this weekend ... we're talking 91 degrees. Did I mention we don't have AC? We have a window unit that was totally fine until this weekend. Most of our windows are old-timey crank windows that really can't even accomodate window units ... so it was warm. No, no, no. It was HOT. Thank GOODNESS for the basement which stays MUCH cooler. As well as the Master BR because of the AC in there ... but wowzers. Please pray for my fam ... I get cranky when I'm hot. Um. that's actually a very kind description of my over-heated-self ... Yikes. :/
Aaron went and got the kiddies a little pool to play in in the back yard that was QUITE the hit after church on Sunday.
The babes were FREEZING since the water was so cold, but they still played and played and played. I never have understood how kids can swim in so much colder water than adults.








They're the cutest.

After the men grilled out quite a feast the women and kiddos went home for naps as the men left for a round of golf. Ahhhh .... Delightful.

Then ... a BONUS weekend day for Memorial Day. SOMEHOW, I'm really not in any way sure how this happened, but the kids talked us into going BACK to Farmland. We haven't found any outdoor pools in town yet, but that is first on my agenda for the weekend. Sister needs some sun.

I sent this pic to my mom and sisters (we "chat" all day everyday via group text pretending we still live close)
to show my excitement about heading to Farmland as opposed to Lake Ouachita.
I was so, so happy.
Clearly.


It turned out to be a fun time.

After lonnngggg naps we headed over to the Hurst house for slip 'n slides, more grilling, and a fun time all around.







The Sweet Knox's

It was a fun weekend playing and eating and enjoying time with friends. I know it's not just another day. Not just another holiday. I'm so thankful for the brave men and women who have defended our country so we can have so many of the freedoms we do today. I still tear up saying the pledge of allegiance sometimes. It's an amazing, amazing gift that we've been given that I'll never take lightly. Thank you.

"These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you have tribulation, but take courage; I have overcome the world." John 16:33



0 comments:

 
Blog Design © Designs by Linds 2011