Monday, October 8, 2012

Mmm Mmm Monday: Soups and Such.

This weekend was kind of a downer.
I wasn't feeling great towards the end of the week and just could barely keep my eyes open. I kept drinking coffee and popping B12 vitamins like skittles, TRYING to get some energy. But, nothing was working. Finally I progressed to getting achy and feeling terrible; by Friday afternoon Aaron practically forced me out the door into the doctor's office where I found out I had a few "issues." Primarily Strep Throat ... Which I've never had before and for some reason thought I was immune. I also was blessed with a teensy bit of bronchitis, a sinus infection and and the beginnings of an ear infection. No wonder I felt awful!
I pretty much laid in bed for the next 36 hours waiting on my meds to kick in. This pic kinda sums up my weekend attitude:

 During that exciting time I sampled the best of what Wal-Mart had to offer from the soup aisle ... It was less than stellar. There was a ray of sunshine when my friend Emily brought a cup of soup from a local bistro.... I'm still not sure what kind of soup it was, but it was fab. Thanks Em!

Anyway, by Sunday I still wasn't feeling 100%, but I was definitely ready to step it up a notch in the dining department.
I spent a great deal of Saturday dreaming up what kind of soup I really wanted ... I have lots of faves when it comes to soup, you know.
Did I want ole' trusty: Paula Deen's "The Lady's Chicken Noodle Soup" that is hands down the best evah ... Especially when coupled with some of my mamas cheddar jalapeño cornbread muffins ... Maybe more of the Pioneer Woman's Beef Stew, or my latest Pinterest obsession Smoky Corn Chowder with Shrimp?
No, I think I wanted something a little big smoother, a little easier to throw together, and something just perfect for a sore throat ... The Pioneer Woman's Sherried Tomato Soup sounded like just what the doctor ordered. I think it was one of the first recipes I ever made of hers and I've been hooked ever since.
The great thing about this soup is I tend to usually have almost everything on hand.

Here's what you need:

6 Tablespoons Melted Butter
1 whole Medium Onion, Diced
1 bottle (46 Oz.) Tomato Juice
2 cans (14 Oz. Cans) Diced Tomatoes
1 Tablespoon (up To 3 Tablespoons) Chicken Base
3 Tablespoons (up To 6 Tablespoons) Sugar
1 pinch Salt
Black Pepper To Taste
1 cup Cooking Sherry
1-1/2 cup Heavy Cream
Chopped Fresh Parsley
Chopped Fresh Basil

And it's super easy to make ...

Here's what you do:
Sauté diced onions in butter until translucent. Then add canned tomatoes, tomato juice, chicken base, sugar, pinch of salt, black pepper and stir. Bring to a near boil, then turn off heat. Add in sherry and cream and stir. Add in parsley and basil to taste.

I mean, it doesn't get any easier than this! And it is so yummy! The sherry and the herbs give it the yummiest flavor! It also helps if you have lots of cute helpers for stirring.




Here's the problem with soups, though: They're not very man-pleasin'! Even some of my heartiest stews just don't really excite my manly man. So, I made him a little sumpin' special, one of his very favorite sandwiches: Bacon, Avocado, Tomato, and Egg. Mmm Mmm (Okay, okay it's one of my faves too).

Here's what you need:

2 pieces of thickly sliced bread (I prefer sourdough on this sandwich)
Bacon (1/2 pound will usually suffice for 3 sandwiches)
Mayonnaise
Avocado (thinly sliced)
Tomato (thinly sliced)
Egg (one per sandwich)

And here's what you do:

Fry up your bacon and let drain on a paper towel.
I mean, that's a beautiful sight.

Then lather (yes, lather) your bread with mayonnaise (NOT Miracle Whip! Bleck!).


Let it toast for 6-7 minutes at around 350 degrees in the oven. When your bread is almost done, fry up an egg where the yolk is still soft.

Then just pile everything on your toasted bread ... Avocado slices, tomato, bacon, and finally the hot, fried egg. This is meant to be eaten immediately!




It's pretty darn good ... Like, really good.

And then Aaron's perfectly happy with soup for dinner, great compromise. We've got this marriage thing all figured out ... Kinda. ;)


Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

2 comments:

Morgan Smith said...

glad you're feeling better. and wishing I could eat some of your soup:) guess I'll have to make some...

Michelle ~ Blogging from the Boonies said...

I had to share this... I was looking for a past post from my blog, specifically a This and That post, and I found myself SO confused when I clicked on a link....and landed here!

Just skimming, I read Boonies in the Boonies as Blogging from the Boonies - my blog!

Cheers from one boonies living mama to another!

 
Blog Design © Designs by Linds 2011